Friday, March 14, 2014


I made these Euro (26"x26") pillows for a client's daughter's master bedroom.  It is an embroidered silk.  The thing I've always noticed about these silk fabrics that have been embellished is how challenging they can be to work with.  Oh, they look beautiful in the store, but I think that whomever designed these fabrics has never had to sew on them.

Originally, my client wanted self-welting.  The problem with that on this particular fabric was the bulkiness that the bean-shaped, raised 'bumps' on the lines of embroidery presented.  Not only were they difficult to stitch through, they were not going to allow the welting to really work very well.  Since I cannot control where those bumps were, I needed an alternative.

I told my client this and asked if I could go to Home Fabrics and see if they had a brush fringe that would work.  She agreed, and off I went.  Luckily, they had one (on sale for $3/yard) that was perfect.  It brought out the variations of color in the embroidery thread and was a heck of a lot easier to deal with.  The pillows turned out lovely, and my client, and her daughter, loved the finished product, which made me happy.

No comments: