Friday, December 19, 2008
My Very First Slipcovers
As promised, these are shots of the very first slipcovers I ever made. Really, they could not have been easier, but I truly had no clue what I was doing. At the time I was only doing window treatments and some bedding. People kept asking me if I did slipcovers and I would tell them 'no.' It finally dawned on me that, perhaps, I should learn how to make slipcovers. So I bought a bunch of books and read up on the process. I still didn't understand so I bought a chair for $12 from Betty's Resale Shop to practice on. (At the time I had no furniture that could be slipcovered.) And before I could make my own practice slipcover, I met this art dealer and she asked if I could slipcover the benches in her dining alcove. I said, "sure, why not?" I thought 'how hard can it be?' Famous last words and I can't tell you how many times I've uttered those same words over the years. I always find out exactly how hard it is. In any case, I said I could do them so that's what I did. Looking back now, it's amazing they turned out as well as they did. For one thing the fabric was dress fabric, not even upholstery weight cotton, and it had to be lined. Lining a slipcover is something I really try to avoid, but at the time I didn't realize how much more challenging that makes it. Ignorance is bliss, and all that. I must have gone to her house 12 times before I made the first cut. I was afraid to cut it since I still had no clue. Finally, though, I just jumped in and these were the result. This was also long before I understood that all raw edges needed to be finished. My serger was still in the future. Anyway, for not knowing what I was doing, even at the time I thought they turned out pretty well. She must have been satisfied as well since after that I did her sofa, 2 chairs, an ottoman and a bunch of bedding for her and her daughters. Everything was in white. Next time I'll share with you those photos.