The original - front view
Close up of arm fronts
It's a little hard to tell, but there is a definite depth difference between the upholstery and the wood. This became an issue because the slipcover wouldn't lay properly without some kind of build up. That seemed way too complicated.
So I decided to use batting. This is the back and when I cut the pieces for this, I forgot that the outside back was much larger than the inside back, so there is a gap.
I had to actually sew the batting to the chairs, which was a bit of a pain. No, honestly, it was a huge pain and not easy to do.
I truly did have to cover all the wood that the slipcover would be sitting directly on, otherwise it wouldn't have looked right. When I am working on these seemingly impossible jobs, I frequently have to remind myself that I get these kinds of jobs because I CAN do them. It may take some creative brain power, but, in the end, I do figure it out.
Like I said yesterday, the fabric is white denim with apple green linen welting and trim.
The side view.
Close up of the 1" pleated flange welting on the outside back. The skirt also has a 1" trim at the bottom.
The back with green buttons.
I am actually really pleased with how they (there are 2 chairs) turned out. I haven't even called my client yet to tell her they are finished, so you are seeing them before she does. I think she'll be happy with the result.