Some velvets, like cotton velveteen, are pretty easy to work with. This velvet was not. It washes really nicely and that's about the best I can say about it. I was unable to line the skirt (which I really dislike) because, no matter what I do, I cannot get the two fabrics to go together. Even if I sewed it by hand, which is never gonna happen, I don't think it would work. Luckily it doesn't look bad, it just isn't what I usually am able to do.
This velvet was even harder to work with than I first realized. When I took the slipcover to install it, I got it on and the back wouldn't button. Now, I knew I had cut it correctly and I could see that the skirt was pulling in a way that made it not fit. Rats! I ended up cutting the skirt off the slipcover while it was still on the sofa. I did this mainly to make sure that it actually fit. It did. The way to 'fix' it was to more or less stretch it while sewing it back on. It was more annoying than anything. I hate messing up, but like I've said before, it is so much easier to fix my own mistakes than someone else's.
This is the before shot. And behind the sofa, you can see the window seat with it's old cushions. In the first picture of this post you can see the new cushions. I haven't done the back pillows yet, so I'm saving it for a future post.
Don't forget to look at my previous post and enter my giveaway for the vintage Christmas stockings. I am in a 'giving mood' and have decided to have several more giveaways when this one is done. Next up, my sea star necklaces. So please enter and tell your friends to enter, too!