Friday, January 31, 2014

FUNNY STORY

The pillow below, the blue and white toile with red brush fringe, is on the bed in the house of a friend of a friend's mother.  Confused yet?  Okay, last May I was invited to go to a birthday party of a friend of a friend, both of whom live in Miami.  They were coming out to California, where Sarah (the friend of my friend, Lisa Michelle) had grown up and where her mother still owns a home.  Oh yeah, the mother, Ann, was also coming from Miami to attend Sarah's birthday party.  So, Lisa Michelle and I drive out to Jamul, a town sort of east of San Diego on that Saturday morning in May.  Never having been there, I wasn't really sure how long it would take.  Turns out it's not all that far, but once you get off the freeway, it is more slow going, and the road to the house is very twisty and curvy.  I was driving and still managed to get car-sick, which I normally do not get.  The road was that twisty, though! 

In the picture below is, from left to right, me, Donna, Sarah, Perry, and in the front, Lisa Michelle - turns out all five of us are former models who lived and worked in Spain in the 80's.  Sarah, Donna and Perry all met in Madrid in the mid-80s, and Lisa Michelle and I met in Barcelona in 1989.  Lisa and Sarah met in Miami sometime in the 90s.  What are the odds?  Now, here's where the pillow comes in.  I woke up the next morning and was looking at the pillow.  I kept thinking that it looked somehow familiar.  I can always tell my work if I look inside, so I unzipped it and just knew that I had made it.  But how in the world did it end up on this bed?  I was completely baffled.  Lisa came in and I asked, did I make this pillow?  She said, "You did; you made it for me, oh, 15 years (!) ago, and at one point when I was staying at Sarah's, I had the pillow with me and I ended up giving it to her."  Somehow that pillow made it to the house in Jamul, California!  Talk about a funny story!


No comments: