Tuesday, December 14, 2010

SEWING CLASS

 This past Saturday I taught a How To Make a Slipcover for a Dining Chair class at a local fabric store.
 There were two of these chairs and as the class was scheduled for just two hours, I made this one at home on Friday.
 I knew I couldn't do this short, ruffled skirt at the store since the thickness of the fabric (a kind of bark cloth-type weight,) the time factor and the fact that I needed to sew it on with my industrial machine made that impossible.  
 I also wanted to show two different styles for the same chair.  I had everything cut out and ready to go.  I thought the tailored skirt would be a more practical one to demonstrate and I figured I would be able to sew the skirt on with my regular Bernina.  I thought wrong.  In the end, I had to bring it home to sew the back corners with the industrial.  Still, I was able to show how it is done and even put it on the chair so that everyone could see the finished slipcover.
 The finished chair with its long, tailored skirt.
And the same chair with its short, frilly skirt (my favorite.)  The manager of the store liked them so much that he is now going to design the new bedroom display around these slipcovers chairs.  Not bad, if I do say so myself!


And just a reminder:  You have just one more day to enter my Christmas Tree Skirt giveaway.  I know that blue and white toile may not be everyone's cup of tea, but you can always give it as a gift.  The pictures don't really do it justice.  It is very pretty and will look great under YOUR tree, so leave me a comment on the post from 7 December.  I'll be drawing tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My Mom is a sew-er. I can show her a photo of something and she can whip it out no pattern needed. I on the other hand....no can do!

I did take a class about 10 years ago...but I wanted to make house decor....she wanted to teach how to make clothes...needless to say, I didn't stick with it.

Love those chair covers!

Julie Marie said...

Hi Tamerie, those are just beautiful!... the one with the ruffled skirt is my favorite!... and how exciting that the store is going to plan their display around your beautiful chairs... congratulations!... xoxo Julie Marie

Maija said...

They turned out beautiful Tamerie! How wonderful that you are teaching!!