Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A VERY VINTAGE DRESS

This dress is/was my Great Aunt Leta's (second) wedding dress in 1950.  I wore to a family dinner last Saturday night to honor her.  

It has a full circle skirt.  The dress is made out of a silk taffeta with a quilted waist and horsehair at the hem to make it stand out.


With my cousin Ryan
And my cousin Grace
This is Leta with her new husband Joe, 1950.  She was born on 22 December 1915 and died several years ago at almost 93.  (There is a picture of us together, taken in 2001 at a family reunion, but I cannot find those pictures.)  
So, even though you are gone, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow on what would have been your 95th birthday!

11 comments:

Laurel said...

Hi Sweetie! I love this! I am finally up with new bloggy- :)
Love and hugs to you my Sweet T.
xoxo
http://ahappiersimplerlife.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

What a lovely memory. And the dress looks gorgeous on you.

Winchester Manor said...

You look fabulous in your Aunt Leta's dress! Merry Christmas Sweet Friend!
xoxo
Karyn

Julie Marie said...

Hi Tamerie, you look simply stunning!... and how beautiful Leta was~is... I always talk about my loved ones who have passed away in the present tense... they are still the same people we love!... what a precious photo of Leta and her husband... Happy birthday to Leta tomorrow... xoxo Julie Marie

Maija said...

You look stunning in it....naturally!!
Merry Christmas Tamerie!!

Jackie said...

You are a natural in this dress! It looks fabulous on you :). Happy bday to your aunt. My dad was born Jan 1915, he lived to be 92 years old!!!

They are so precious!

Happy Holidays!
Jackie
Tampa,FL

NicNacManiac said...

Hey there beautiful!!
You would make a potatoe sack look spectacular...blue is your color!!
Such an honour to wear this lovely dress with such a history!!
Hope your complicated little world is happy and joyful!
Love the velvet slipcovers and the chair for the class...WOW!!
Enjoy a fabulous Holiday with the ones you love!!
Peace and Love xOxO Nerina

Unknown said...

What a great way to honor her! I saw a similar dress for $500! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Sandy xoxo

Valerie said...

Beautiful, Tamerie, it looks like it was made for you. You and your aunt must be the same size. I hope your holidays are wonderful... as shining as you in that dress!
x, Val

Ragamuffin Gal said...

This is such a touching post in so many ways! You look fantastic in her dress! What a loving way to honor your aunt! Wishing you many many blessings in 2011!

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

How wonderful, and you look stunning!