Thursday, March 26, 2009

SLIPCOVERS--MID-PROCESS AND FINISHED

Showing the process--this loveseat has been measured and cut.  
Another view
And the back/side view
In the same room, the chair gets a new 'dress' of its own
I cut just half of the slipcover when I am on site.  It takes less time and, unless the piece is a one-armed chaise, the side I don't cut is a mirror image, so it is not necessary to cut the entire thing while there.
This particular chair had the kind of arms I really dislike because there is no arm front and the inside arm piece has to be tucked to fit properly.  It's just a personal preference thing.  In some ways, this kind of arm is a bit easier because there are less pieces to cut and less welting to make.  Still, I like arm fronts.
This is the back of the finished loveseat.  I used vintage mother-of-pearl buttons instead of covered buttons.  The reason for that was I couldn't get the backs of the covered buttons to snap on and unless I wanted to make a special trip to UFO (Upholstery Fabric Outlet) to have them use their button making machine, I had to come up with an alternative.  I think the mother-of-pearl buttons look nice.
Front view
And the finished chair.
I should have taken a 'before' picture so you could see just how much of an improvement this new slipcover is.  You can kind of tell in the cutting pictures what the underneath chair looks like.  Trust me, this is way better. The husband even liked it, which is a really good thing.  A lot of times, they don't have an opinion one way or the other.

3 comments:

Debby - romancing the Bling said...

Good morning Tamerie,

I love your work! Everything is gorgeous! I especially love the love seat...very sweet with the MOP buttons on the back.

Here's hoping you have a great day!

Debby

mosaicqueen said...

Very, very nice work Tamerie!!

Hugs!

Michelle

maryboys said...

love both of these - the buttons look wonderful!