Friday, October 23, 2009

LILY, HIBISCUS OR PLUMERIA?

This is my current business card. Although I love the polka dots and the color, I have never liked this card. It has to do more with the card stock than anything else, but whatever the reason, I want to change it. Again. Of course, it doesn't help that I had to write on it.
I am contemplating using, as a logo, a flower. I love plumeria and I love pink, but is this the flower for me?
I like the rain drops (okay, water from the hose) on this blossom and it's a lighter pink.
The calla lily is so elegant and simple.

The stargazer lily is pretty spectacular.
I do love hibiscus, too. And there are many colors to choose from.
Back to pink. Both these hibiscus shots have been posterized in photoshop. Or is unaltered better?

I looked up the meanings of all these flowers I am considering:

calla lily - regal or beauty
stargazer lily - ambition
plumeria - perfection
hibiscus - old royalty and a bringer of great power and respect

All have wonderful meanings. Another thing to keep in mind is once the image is shrunk to fit on a business card, it loses some of the impact. Is it better to keep it simple and elegant or more colorful? I really like both. How can I decide? What do you think?


14 comments:

Julie Marie said...

Hello Tamerie, I would choose the Stargazer Lily, it is so beautiful, like you, and the meaning behind it is perfect for you as well! Bisous... Julie Marie

Blondie's Journal said...

I like the light pink Plumeria. It's a bit uncommon...read original. 2nd choice is the white lily that has been altered. It's pretty and different. But you have to decide...can't wait to see it!!

xoxo
Jane

Mammabellarte Rita Reade said...

I love the plumeria one, also you could do like my card, plumeria in front side and your info in b/w in the back side (vista print). I am glad you found the web site with the bright chairs. Ciao Rita

my little buttercup said...

I like the meaning of the plumeria the best.
A trick I learned in a design class is to take one idea and force yourself to make 40 different versions using that element (small icon size). Having the challenge and laying it out makes you see what works the best.
Good luck!

Serena Lewis said...

The plumeria (frangipani) with the water drops on it is gorgeous! I think I'd go with that one because your work is perfection.

I understand your dilemma though as I have a hard time making my mind up on issues like this too. You could always mix it up a little...same details on each card but different flowers. I've seen artists use up to three styles of business cards, each showing a different representation of their art.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Tamerie
I think the stargazer lily is YOU!!
A bright star in blogland..!!
Well it may not translate well to a business card, as you said once shrunk the detail is lost.. Therefore the most simple is probably the most effective.

Have a great weekend xx Julie

Janet said...

I'm a lily gal! I think the calla lily is so elegant and the stargazer is gorgeous and one of my favorite flowers to draw or paint....but that would be my choice for me! I think it all comes down to what do YOU like!

Lisa Kettell said...

Hey Tamerie,
Love your blog, and this post of sweet flowers is wonderful, love the plumeria, so enchanting.
Magic, Hugs and Joy!
Lisa!

Diane said...

I absolutely adore plumeria, and it conjures up beautiful images of the tropics, vacation, relaxation. I vote for the pink one with the raindrops. It's lovely!

NicNacManiac said...

All of these images are lovely, myself, I love the pink plumeria with the 'hose' drops. So elegant and subtle...perfect!! Why not have a couple of different cards?? Which ever you choose will be charming!!
Hugs xOxO Nerina :)

Winchester Manor said...

Looks like I'm also with the majority and like the pulmeria and the meaning as well.

Sorry I've been so scarce I have an awful cold.

Love and hugs,
Karyn

Maya@Completely Coastal said...

I think it's so true... that you have to make up many version to find the one(s) that is "perfection". That's the fun part of the creative process too!

Unknown said...

pink plumeria! It reminds me of you!!!! love the bedroom shots up above too...I wouldve left the red pillows!!!

prashant said...

I am glad you found the web site with the bright chairs


Make website india